Related Results

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

2016 Regional Breakdown: Final Four & Final Thoughts

Slow Your Roll
While everyone wants to label this year as the year for crazy things to happen because there is no "dominant" team out there, I think people need to remember that the one seeds and a couple of the twos are really good.  Noticeably-better-than-the-middling-seeds good.  That's why I have three number one seeds (North Carolina, Kansas, and Virginia) in my Final Four and really only have A&M in there because someone has to win the West Region.  If Michigan State had gotten a one seed instead of Oregon, I would've had four number one seeds.  There's still going to be upsets, sure, but to not pick some of these one seeds just because the regular season has been volatile is not recommended.

Final Four & Champion
The KU-A&M matchup I don't think will even be that close.  Kansas should wipe the floor with the Aggies, and really anyone that comes out of the West.  The other side of the bracket, however, should be very interesting.  It would be an all ACC matchup between Virginia and UNC.  They split their two matchups this season with Virginia winning by five at home in late February, and the Tar Heels winning by four last week in the ACC Championship game.  I would anticipate another close, tense game between two foes who know each other well, but I have to take Carolina's talent in the end.

This will set up the Roy Williams National Championship game as Roy takes his Tar Heels to face his old team, the Jayhawks.  I believe that these are the two best teams in the country because of their coaching, versatility, and depth.  Fans of basketball in general should be rooting for this matchup as I think it would be a classic title game that is contested until the end.  I'm going to take the Jayhawks because I think they are a little more consistent than the Tar Heels are, despite having less overall talent on their roster.

Gut Feeling
I've given you numbers, names, and reasons why Team A will beat Team B.  Sometimes, however, when the bracket comes out you see a matchup and before looking deep into the matchup just say, "That feels like it could be an upset."  While I didn't have the guts to actually pick these upsets, here are a few big time shockers that looked appealing when the bracket first came out.

14 Stephen F Austin over 3 West Virginia
13 Iona over 4 Iowa State
11 Gonzaga over 3 Utah and 2 Michigan State
12 Yale over 5 Baylor

Matty O


No comments:

Post a Comment